Weighing My Life

Weighing My Life

Last April, when my best friend Jenny arrived from Mumbai, I organized a get-together for all our close friends from school. Everything about this get-together was fun, except, the reaction of my family on seeing my photos with my friends. It was as if my folks were waiting for some evidence to bring up this new issue: I was putting on weight.

Early next morning my Papa woke me up, make me drink a glass of warm lemon juice with honey. We did some exercise for about 45 minutes and then it was ‘counseling time’. My mom couldn’t resist this opportunity and joined in this grant event. My Papa (a journalist) who loves playing with language started talking endlessly about how a lifestyle change would benefit me. I had to do everything in the right way (from taking up the right breathing techniques, to how much water I drink, to posture of sleep …) and thus bringing about a positive vibe in my life. This was new information according to which I must freeze immediately no matter what I’m doing and start all over again. “This will wear me out, if not anything else “, I thought to myself. My mom jumped into the conversation at the first opening she got. She, being a doctor, went on with the medical aspect of being ‘overweight’. Oh, the very term shook me to bits and at the same time I was amazed how many times she used the term ‘endocrinology’ and ‘hormones. For the first time in my life I started hating Biology.

I didn’t understand the necessity of this conference over ‘lil old me’. My friends always described me as a ‘warm, lovable, plump and cheery ‘person. I don’t think I could have described myself any better. Though my vital stats are not 36-24-36 (I think only Barbie has this ratio) I am not horribly overweight either. I believe I am a cheery person who loves to laugh and who eats when hungry. With anorexic looking girls running about the city, should I starve too? (Not in this life!) I can walk, do everything I love and more, and I am comfortable with my own self. “I need to lose a few pounds here and there, but I can’t stop living my life for that “. I shrieked... The only thing I probably cannot do is to lie on the beaches of Goa in bikini (when my buddies and I go to Goa after college is over). But I think I can live with that!

For my defence, I rang up my big brother (a journalist) who is in Pune. ‘’Chetta, our folks are going wild with the thought of making my waistline perfect. Save me please.’ Little did I know that I was adding fuel to the fire? Let me brief you on the background details of my brother. ‘A fitness freak’ is not an exaggeration when describing him. He loves his proteins, biceps, 6packs and thighs and to top it all, he is crazily in love with me. I got half an hour talk on gyms, proteins consumption, calories and ideal weight. 

So here I am now, 5kgs down and more to go. Listening to the endless lectures of the three most loving people in the world, drinking 10+ glasses of water daily and doing exercise are all part of my routine. Don’t get me wrong when I say, “I love myself and the way I am”. But I guess I live my family and my peace of mind more.

Article by : Lauella Amy,St.Teresa's College

0 comments:

Post a Comment