JESUS AND THE WOMAN CAUGHT IN ADULTERY: HER STORY (JOHN8:2-11)

JESUS AND THE WOMAN CAUGHT IN ADULTERY: HER STORY (JOHN8:2-11)

I was the good girl growing up, the shy one. I was the only daughter my father didn’t have to worry about. Now, look at me- caught in the act of adultery, pulled by the temple’s high officials, most likely to be stoned. I didn’t care though; there was nothing to live for anyway. The one I was trying to hurt didn’t even show up. Surprise. Surprise. The good for nothing, my husband…. He probably was revelling in his luck of getting rid of me.

When I married him, he gained status and wealth through my family. His family wasn’t as high as my family was, but our fathers were friends. In the year of our marriage, he was a true gentleman, a good son-in-law, a great scholar… he had us all fooled. I started to notice changes in him and his family as my father began to get sick. He wasn’t a great husband anymore nor was his parent’s great in- law. He started to get irritated with me over trivial things. In my father’s weak state, they manipulated him and got all our property. Soon, I was kicked out of our bedroom and into the kitchen. One of his favorite girl slaves took my place in the bedroom.

Later, I realized they were poisoning my father, but by that time it was too late. My father had died, and in my crazed mourning state, I decided to take revenge. But it didn’t exactly work out…
The Pharisees pulled me into the centre of a crowd and approached one of the taller men saying, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women.”

I wonder what they do to men who commit adultery, abuse and kill… Their friend, my husband did all of that.“So what do you say?” I glanced at the man they were talking to. So he was the final decision maker. Strange. The man didn’t look like the others. He didn’t have elegant robes or golden rings on his fingers. He looked more or less like a common shepherd or artisan.

Instead of responding, the man bent down and started writing on the ground with finger.What an unconditional person. The hypocrite (I mean, the temple’s official), looked almost irritated when he continued to write in silence. They asked again and again until the man stood up.
“Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”
He said calmly before bending down and continuing to write.
After hearing this, one by one, they all started moving off. When only he and I were left, he straightened up and asked, “woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
“No one,” I replied. With an afterthought I quickly added “Sir”. He did save my life. He smiled. “Neither do I condemn you. Go, and from now on do not sin anymore.”
As he started to leave I couldn’t help but ask,” Who are you?”
“Jesus,” he said simply as if that would answer my question. “Jesus of Nazareth.” With that said, he left with his entourage.
I walked over to where he was writing. I started to read. Mathew, son of Issac-steals from the poor. Luke, son of Zachariah-abuses his wife and killed his father…. I stopped reading. How could he know that? He couldn’t possibly be just “Jesus of Nazareth.” I had to find out who he truly was.I started to head in the direction he had taken.

Article By:Lincy Elezebeth John,St.Teresa's College

0 comments:

Post a Comment