MY INTERVIEW AT ST. ALBERT’S

MY INTERVIEW AT ST. ALBERT’S
Taking a little time off ( of course, unofficially! ) from my then employer, M/S Blow Plast Ltd., I had gone to St. Albert’s to attend the interview for the post of lecturer some-time in 1984. I was rather disenchanted with by ‘Sales Officer’s Job with the Blow Plast as the basic qualities of a sales officer were never in my blood. Hence I was badly in need of the job of the lecturer for which I had received the interview card. But my little dreams of becoming a lecturer were shattered when I was told by some of the candidates who had come for the interview that the lucky soul for the post had already been decided by the Management of the College. To add to my shock, some others stated that in any case the College authorities were looking for a hand with ‘econometrics as optional subject (which was never my optional subject)
I had decided to take the interview in the most casual manner since I felt that it was just a ‘formality’. I had a heated argument with the ‘Subject Expert’ as he never seemed to agree with whatever I stated. I had come out of the interview room quite dejected and disturbed. Probably, what hurt me most was the strong disagreement of the Subject Expert with my analysis of the issues debated in the interview.
But to my pleasant surprise, I was told subsequently by the candidate who stood ‘second’ in the interview that I was placed first in the final list of selection, thus defeating all my conclusions that the Management would select only candidates of its choice based on ‘certain’ considerations. In fact, my experience showed that selection was on absolute merits and the same is vindicated by other faculty members of the college. Later I was told that the ‘Subject Expert’ was only measuring the depth of my understanding of the subject.
I maintain very fond memories of my short stint with St.Albert’s College and it is also with pride that I refer to others of the warmth and cordiality among the faculty and the student community of the College. I have immense pride to be a member of the ‘Albertian Family’.
BY:VINCEN M. PAUL, I.P.S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment