Intricate Kin…

Intricate Kin… 

1989 was the year when my mother and I were heading back to Kerala from Delhi. Sitting in the train when my father was outside holding my hands through the window perplexed me, not to mention disturbed me because I wanted him sitting beside me and not standing outside telling me to be a good girl while he was away. Little did I know that my mother was expecting another baby and she wanted to deliver her second child in Cochin?

When the train started to move I realized my dad wasn’t going to come with us and I wasn’t ready to leave him behind. That’s when it hit me that the ice cream he bought me instead was to divert my mind. He didn’t realize that it was him that I wanted and not the ice cream.

I remember I cried for a while and gave my mother a hard time. Over the next few days I forgot the little trauma I went through and started to enjoy my new life in Cochin City. My mother running after me with her belly (I have to say I was fascinated about what was inside her belly), getting me dressed for school, and also getting some grub into my mother… yes, life was alright.

Then one day my mum tells me ‘’Neethu… Appu is not in Delhi anymore ...he is in Jeddah’’ I didn’t care where he was, all I understood was that he was further away from me.

Within a span of 12 month my dad managed to get all of us to live with him as one big happy family .Life went on for 12 years and then it was again time to move away, but this time, from both my parents. 
Leaving Jeddah and all the beautiful memories I had was devastating. Even more painful was leaving my dad and mom behind. Joining the college hostel in Cochin was what made me feel that all this was a part of growing up. I learnt to appreciate them more, miss them a lot, pray for them whole heartedly, telling them all the naughty things I did with my friends (of course, gulping a down a few details here and there! ) whenever I got a chance to talk to them over the cell phone.

Now since I am living with my mom and brother, I have started talking them for granted and there are certain inevitable issues that come up in every family.

My dad and mom always thought that I would never miss them when I am away from them, and I don’t really know how to tell them that they are the most important people in my life. One day they think I am ashamed of them and the next day they conclude that there is a huge generation gap. They don’t realize that I grew up looking up to them and if at all I am a little less conservative, it’s because of my age.

At the end of the day I realize that all my dad and mom want is my security and nothing else. What they mean to me is way beyond what I can express!

Article By: Neethu George

0 comments:

Post a Comment