A Promise

A Promise

Ask me what my greatest wish in life is and I will tell you that it is to see my father’s family in 
Kathmandu. I often dream about going to my ancestral home and meeting my aunts, uncles, cousins and everybody there. People often ask me whether I am a North Indian and I reply in the affirmative. Because if I say otherwise,the next question will be, “Have you ever been in Nepal?” and here I’m silent. What can I say when I have never met my relations nor even spoken to them. Moreover, I don’t even know if they realize I even exist.

I know of them when my Papa tells me his sister is very caring, that his brother are very serious, that his nice had won the Miss Nepal title, that his Mom was very strict and so on. I know through the media that Kathmandu is a very beautiful place but inspite of being the daughter of a native of Kathmandu I have never been to the place. It sounds ironical.

On festivals like Diwali and Holy when my Papa talks of how they used to celebrate them in his childhood days, I can sense a touch of regret and sorrow in his voice. I know he misses his relatives when he is far removed from them here in Kerala, and this feeling surfaces at times when he shouts at me. Being the only daughter, I know what loneliness is. I know how lonely Papa feels in his strange land away from his people.

So this is the resolution I have made. One day, when I am independent enough, I will take my Papa to his motherland and my Mamma to the in-laws she has never met. This is my promise…to myself.

Article By: Tenzing Noryan,St.Teresa's College

0 comments:

Post a Comment