Open Window

Open Window

My artistic and literary sensibilities have been rekindled for the simple reason that I am spending my summer holidays in this paradise of God’s own country. My room faces the lush green landscape and, more importantly, the window opens onto a river
This morning my joy knew no bounds. I gazed at the urban life buzzing over the river bridge. I am so exhilarated at this beautiful blend of urban and rural life of Kerala. My microscope viewing through this grilled window has added new thread to the fabric of my life.

People with furrowed heads are rushing through to their work places. Trucks and other vehicles which are fully loaded are being driven at breakneck speed. But even amidst this hustle and bustle, I can see grey headed grandpas and grandmas, walking casually with their black umbrellas. It is obviously they have had their share of tensions, trials and tribulations. And now they are relaxing and enjoying their old age, seeing their children settled and watching their grandchildren grow.

I can now see the ultra modern youngsters on their latest model bikes or on their cars driving away, trying to create an impression that they have the key to the golden treasure. But none even glances at the swaying coconut branches or the flowing waters.

Soon a sight in the river creates a few ripples in my heart. Two men are rowing a boat. Their hands are deft and they row ahead spreading waves of joy all around.

This glorious morning is becoming brighter.  The sun’s rays are kissing every object. As the intensity of the rays increase, the feelings in my heart become more pronounced and profound. I can now feel the presence of a supreme power, guiding and guarding all objects on earth. How beautiful is this morning! How splendid and sublime are the sensations entering through this open window!   

By: Monisha Titus

0 comments:

Post a Comment