A Horrifying Dream

A Horrifying Dream

I was having a midday dream when my little sister called me.First I got a bit irritated because i usually enjoy my dreams,particularly the dreams in which I envisage a bright future for me.I usually see my wishes come true in these dreams and I seldom give ears to what my mother says.I have often got scolding for the same ,but I never changed,nor did my dreams.I was known to all as "Ashita- the Dreamer." I never cared.

"Chitta ,"-in our caste younger ones call their elder sisters like that -"Chitta, Oh Chitta, where have you gone?"

"I'm here, you little devil, can't u see?". I wanted to say that, but i didn't.She was everyone's pet,including mine.So I never wanted to call her any bad words.

So i said:"Merita, I'm here, in the balcony."

She reached with in minute.One her face i saw a deep wound.She was bleeding!i asked her:"What happened dear?"

For a moment I felt that I would faint.But i somehow managed to overcome my shock and send her to the City hospital.

The wound wasn't as deep as I thought so she came back fast from the hospital.I asked her how she had got hurt.She said: "Chittta,Noel played cricket on me".

"What?Played cricket on you?What are you trying to say?Make it clearer."

Merita said:"Noel Chetta beat me with a big stick which he uses as his cricket bat."

Then i knew that something serious had happened.I knew my sister,s character well.So i asked her:"Did you do anything wrong?"

She said innocently:"I didin't do anything.i just took his ball and said that it's mine because it fell into our house."

"No wonder he gave you a blow !" I said. But in my mind I felt that I should talk to Noel about this incident. In the evening around 7pm I went to Noel's house.He was of my age,and so i didn't feel any starting trouble.I said:"Eh,Noel why did you heart my sister.?You should have reported to me about her mischief."
He said: "See,Ashita, I don't like anyone taking any of belongings,so I gave her a good blow.But I didn't know that it would wound her."

"If i had done that 0to your sister, what would you feel? Similarly it's my flesh and blood, my little sister.You shouldn't have done that."
I started talking emotionally.Anyway,I understood that Noel wasn't guilty completely.he was sorry for what he had done.

I always worried about her,her sorrows,her anxieties, her pleasures, everything I shared with her.I loved her so much.My love towards her and my dreams were taking my possessions from me. I didn't know that.

Once she came to me and said:"Chitta I know you love me very much, why can,t give me your scooter as a proof?"

I thougt:"A material things to express sisterly love!"

I didn't say anything.I just gave her the key.

She thanked me and vanished.

First scooter, then my chain,my bracelet,everything she took.I didn't care, I was happy with my sweet dreams. I loved my dreams very much.But i never tried to achieve anything out of my dreams.

I always thought 'life is a bed of roses,enjoy the maximum.'God knows what awaited one in the future!

Days passed.I started my degree course and my sister went for MBBS.Actually I wanted to be a doctor,and it was my dream.But she became so.I was not jealous of her.I thought,'me or her:it is the same !' If she becomes a doctor,I will assist her when she starts a clinic.I'll help her accounts.I was brilliant at maths.She hated it the most.

A few days after, I completed my PG,and she completed her medical degree and was awaiting the results.I was sure that she would come out in flying colours.So I was happy.But I felt an uneasiness in my house.Whenever I woke from my sweet dreams,I heard everyone murmuring.My marriage was fixed with my neighbour,Noel.It was an arranged one.But still I felt some uneasiness.I said to Mamma:"Mom,everyone is making fun of me.I don't want to marry him."

"Don't be stupid, Ashita darling! He loves you so much."

"Oh! Mamma,but...."

"No buts..... and ifs; what's decided shall take place.It's your fathers decision and that will happen"

I didn't know what to do.Then I thought of discussing it with Noel,my would-be.In the evening ,at 6,I met him at the beach."what a coincidence!" he said to me .

"Yeah.Noel ,I want to say something to you,"I said.

"Me first",Noel said.

"Okay,then what do you have to say?"

"See,Ashita, you know that my Dad,along with your Dad ,has fixed our marriage.But i don't want to marry you.I'm extremely sorry to tell you this,and I know that it'll hurt you.But I thought this was better than cheating you.All this happened due to a misunderstanding.Now I don't know whether it'll hurt you dear,but i'm forced to...."He stopped in between.

Then i said:"But,Noel, I'm happy to hear that!".
"Happy?."

"Yeah, I,m happy because i was feeling a bit odd to marry you.I'll report this to Mamma and Dad,"I replied happily.

"That would be making me to happy, but one ,more thing:See,Ashita,I,m in love with your sister Merita and I want you to tell that to your parents.Now i hope you've understood what the misunderstanding was to dew to."

I was shocked."Noel,this is too much!". I was really shocked.Then i said:"I didn't expect from you.I didn't want to marry you because you are my neighbour and I didn't want anyone to say that my parents are irresponsible and careless that their daughters go behind boys and choose them according to their will and pleasure.Moreover, my sister is going abroad for higher studies and you just have a silly diploma as qualification. Why on earth did you tell me that?Me it,s okay,but don't try tell to this my parents.Let this illusion of yours end in your mind itself."

"But Ashita, merita loves me! What've you to say about that?".

That was a blow for me.I shouted angrily:"Merita? I know my sister won't to do that. I know her well."

"But it's true,"he said.
I discussed the matter with Merita and then with my parents,but my surprise they agreed to it at once.I overheard them saying that since Noel is very rich his education is not a problem.I felt bad.Soon Merita was married to Noel.Everyone said to me:"Your marriage is next...should fine a good one for you too."But no one was interested in me , nor in my qualification.Everyone wanted a doctor or engineer, may be to make their life and future secure.

For the first time in life I got jealous my sister.I felt that I'd loved Noel and Merita had snatched him from me. My sisterly love had blinded me and i wanted to take revenge now.

I went to her house with a penknife.I was about to stab her when i heard a door opening slowly.I heard a voice:"No 17 Ashita."

No.17,Ashita!Did i here a voice? I awakened from my dream.I saw my penknife on my chest. I tried to remove it. I was struggling.I didn't know what to do.

Far away from my eyes saw a board on which was written:'Asylum.' A home for the mentally affected.
I said:"Illusion, its just an illusion!"
Suddenly the door closed.

by:-Anita Bridgit Gomez




0 comments:

Post a Comment